Having some of the best remote work tools can help you work more efficiently and productively from home. We cannot over-emphasize the role technology plays in our everyday life and how it has improved the way people do their work. Working remotely is not a new thing, however, its popularity became more pronounced during the Covid 19 pandemic when people were forced to work from their various houses. After the lockdown, most businesses and other professionals saw the opportunity and benefit of working from home. Presently, more companies are starting to allow employees to work remotely. As the popularity of working remotely increases every day, there is a need to find the right remote work tools that allow employees to stay connected and be just as productive as they would in an office.
In this article, we’ll share some of the best tools for working remotely so you and your team members can maximize productivity and secure more sales than ever before, no matter where you are.
What Are Remote Work Tools?
Remote work tools are software or apps that are used by remote workers to make their job easier. By making use of tools and software, remote workers can get their job done on time, easier and meet deadlines. This way, they can be more productive and efficient than their onsite counterparts or even better. Remote working tools include communication and collaboration tools such as messaging and video chat software, project management tools, cloud storage, and task and remote team management apps.
Some tools are used for communicating and conferencing, a few are used for automating tasks while some can be used to manage projects. Some of these amazing tools will be explained in this article.
Why Use Remote Work Tools
- It makes your job faster
- Helps you meet deadlines
- Increase productivity
- Automate tasks and schedule task
- Setting your working schedule
- The comfort of being at home
- Chance to travel more
- Less stress
- Better time management for personal life
- More Satisfying
- Help you manage tasks
Video Conferencing and Communication Tools
As a remote worker, there are good chances that your employers might want to video chat with you or you want to have a meeting with your team. Video conferencing software has made it easy for remote workers to hold virtual meetings with their employees, employers, clients, teams and other important people with a touch of in-person experience even if all are away.
below are some recommendations for video conferencing software
Zoom has become one of the most popular videos, audio-conferencing, and remote work tools used by millions of people worldwide. In April 2020, Zoom announced the milestone of 300 million daily meeting participants. The software comes with HD quality audio and video and allows you to share your screen with others. This is a great tool for instructors and teachers because it allows them to share their screens with their students. Also, you can use it to display and share documents with your team.
With Zoom, users have the ability to you can create digital meeting rooms and host up to 100 participants for free. Furthermore, you get to enjoy collaborative features like screen-sharing, a whiteboard, and the opportunity to call in via phone.
So if you want to meet with your remote team virtually, zoom is your best bet. Zoom can be connected with plugins like Uncanny Automator which helps to schedule meetings with clients, teams and employers automatically. When a user fills out a form on your site, Uncanny Automator will register them for a Zoom meeting instantly.
- Fullscreen and gallery views
- Join as a view-only attendee
- Annotation and co-annotation functionality
- Built-in security measures such as password protection
- Toll-free options in 60+ countries for joining meetings
- Instant or scheduled meeting setups
Skype is another video conferencing tool like Zoom used by remote workers to connect with their clients and employees. In 2017, the estimated number of Skype users registered worldwide amounted to roughly 1.33 million. Skype is one of the most popular video and audio communications platforms out there. With Skype, you can make both video and voice call with your teams, clients and employers. Furthermore, you can send and reply to messages instantly on the software. Additionally, Skype comes with screen-sharing features which allow you to easily share presentations, holiday photos or anything on your screen during a call.
Users can record live calls and videos. So people who did not attend the meeting can also benefit from the experience. With Skype, you can use live subtitles to read the words that are spoken. The instant messaging platform also offers a group chat option, giving you the ability to hold impromptu remote meetings or reunions.
- Audio and HD video calling.
- Smart messaging.
- Screen sharing.
- Call recording and Live subtitles.
- Private conversations.
As the name suggests, Microsoft teams are used to connect and collaborate with teams. With Microsoft teams, you can chat, organize a group meeting, call a colleague and collaborate in other ways. Additionally, the software comes with a seamless and fast video call to employees within your business or clients outside your business. Furthermore, you can share screens with clients and teams for technical assistance and multi-user real-time collaboration.
- Team collaboration
- Conversations within channels and teams
- A chat function
- Document storage in SharePoint
- Online video calling
- Screen sharing
- Online meetings
- Audio conferencing
- Full telephony.
Slack is a communication tool used by remote workers to communicate and share ideas among teammates. With Slack, you can make commentary and collaborate with your team in real time so that everything moves swiftly. Furthermore, you can also use slack for instant messaging and collaboration. It will bring all your team communication to one place making managing remote employees a lot easy. Slack offers fully native apps for iOS and Android to give you complete functionality. The app offers real-time messaging between teams, regardless of time zone. It also integrates well with other services like Google Drive, Office 365 and over 2,200 more.
- Automate routine actions and communication, so you can get back to the kind of work only humans can do.
- Set reminders.
- Get notified
- Voice and video call.
- Apps and integrations.
- Privatization of channels.
- Channel details.
- Integrates with Google Drive and 2,200 services worldwide
- Supports collaboration at a global scale, with unlimited channels
- Complete control and visibility of access to your data in Slack using your encryption keys.
- Free: The quickest and easiest way to try Slack
- Pro: $6.67 USD/mo
- Business: $12.50 USD/mo*
- Enterprise plan
Project Management Software
Trello is a project management tool that is used by millions of people, teams, companies and businesses worldwide to manage any type of project, workflow, or task tracking. To get started, simply set up a board, begin adding cards, and invite others with whom you would like to use the board. Cards can help users incorporate checklists, due dates, and reminders, while the drag-and-drop functionality allows you to move cards between columns.
- Trello project management
- Send attachments by dragging and dropping them onto a card so the right files stay with the right tasks.
- Trello integrates with Dropbox, Slack, Microsoft Teams, and more.
- Butler feature. Butler is an automation feature in Trello
- Cards feature: which include Task descriptions Attachments Subtasks Due dates and Multiple project assignees
- Trello board: Help[ create multiple boards for your projects and oversee your project progress at all times.
- Easy, Drag-and-Drop Editing
- In-Line Editing
- Easy Organization with Labeling, Tags, and Comments
- Progress Meter Checklist
- Card Records Archive
- Easy Upload (Local Devices, Dropbox, Google Drive, and Box)
- File Attachment
- Data Filters
- Deadline Alerts and Notifications
- Automated Email Notifications
- Activity Logs
- Individual/Group Task Assignment
- Information Backup
- Information Retrieval
- SSL Data Encryption
- Mobile-Friendly Views
- Great customer Support
- Easy file upload (Local Devices, Dropbox, Google Drive, and Box)
- File Attachment
- Individual/Group Task Assignment
- Voting Options
- STANDARD: $5USD
- Free plan
Cloud storage tool
Google Drive is a cloud-based storage tool that is used by remote workers to store, save and share documents, files, photos, emails, and other files with your team, employers or clients. With Google Drive, you can store and organize documents, collaborate with team members in real-time regardless of geographic location, and share documents, spreadsheets, or presentations with your team and employers. You can also scan important documents and upload them directly to your Google Drive, work offline, and even see old versions of documents in case you need to go back in time and make a fix.
- Team collaboration: Share documents with your team members and those outside your team
- Advanced search features
- Drag and drop uploads
- Scan documents with the mobile app straight to your drive.
- Integrates well with Microsoft Office and other tools
- Creates slides for presentation
- Create a Google sheet for data analysis
- Cloud-based storage for storing files
- Create a new document
- View shared folders between computers
- View documents shared outside of your personal drive
- See recent, starred, or deleted documents
Dropbox is another cloud-based storage tool like Google drive used for storing and sharing large files. The software comes with a really cool interface for file sharing and collaboration. With Dropbox, you can store and access files from anywhere by storing them in one safe place, accessible from your computer, phone, or tablet. You can also use Dropbox to organize your content by creating and editing your work including cloud content and Microsoft Office files directly in Dropbox, so you spend less time switching between apps or searching for files. Furthermore, Dropbox also comes with a Paper app which is a collaborative doc for your team. With the paper app, you can create content easily and organize your projects using timelines, to-dos, and tables.
- Cloud storage: Keep all your files safe with powerful online cloud storage
- File sharing. Share files and documents with your team, employers or clients or anyone outside your working environment.
- Productivity tools. Make use of the Dropbox tools to be more productive in the workplace. …
- Content collaboration. Easily collaborate, edit, and share content with team members.
- Dropbox can easily integrate with tools like Slack, Zoom, HelloSign, and other Dropbox integrations.
Asana is a cloud-based task management solution that can help remote workers to manage, collaborate, communicate, and organize their tasks and projects. The software has an excellent interface specialized for handling multiple projects which makes it very suitable for companies of any size. The software not only comes with a web-based platform, also offers mobile apps for iOS and Android.
- Collaboration Focused
- Task Management
- It integrates well with Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, adobe creative cloud, slack, and zoom
- Email Integration
- Notifications & Reminders
- Flexible user accounts management.
- Automated updates
- Project/Task Creation
- Project Permissions
- It is available on the web, android and ios
- Team collaboration
- Setting Priorities & Due Dates
- Premium($13.49 per person/month).
- Business($30.49 per person/month).
- Enterprise (Contact Asana for a quotation).
Time Management App
Time Doctor is a tool used by businesses and organizations to track time and measure productivity insight. The software is used by over 140,000 people worldwide for measuring and analyzing how a team spends its time. You can use Time Doctor to track your time and your employees’ time so that you can clearly see what’s done throughout the day. Time Doctor creates a summary of the time spent on each project, client, and task. This way, you will be more engaged in each project, offering encouragement and stepping in when necessary. You can also create tasks, assign projects, and review progress at a go.
- Time Tracking and Employee Monitoring: Track your time and your employees’ time so that you can clearly see what’s done throughout the day.
- Online Timesheets and Payroll: Work smarter, not harder with time tracking that creates seamless timesheets and payroll.
- Project Management and Budgeting: Align projects and budgets for maximum efficiency. You can create tasks, assign projects, and review progress
- Productivity Measuring and Summary Reports: View screenshots of real-time progress, see who’s working on which project, and how they’re spending their workday
- Distraction Alerts: Stay focused and on task with alerts that let you know when you’ve gone off trac
- Website, App & Chat Monitoring.
- Screenshots, Webcam Shots, & Activity Levels.
Working remotely has a lot to do with video conferencing, and collaborating with teams, colleagues and employers. Therefore you must have a stable and reliable internet connection to make your activities smooth. Because you can’t risk having an internet connection that’s slow or prone to cutting out when having an important meeting or connecting with your team members and colleagues. This can undermine productivity. Therefore it’s important to set up a safe and secure virtual environment for all their employees. NordVPN provides an encrypted channel to protect files, personal information, or sensitive data from unsafe public Wi-Fi networks.
- Next-generation encryption.
- Strict no logs policy.
- Threat Protection.
- Automatic Kill Switch.
- DNS leak protection.
- Onion Over VPN.
- Streaming support.
- Lightning speed
- Secure up to 6 devices simultaneously
- Dedicated IP address
- VPN apps for various devices
- Browser proxy extensions
- 24/7 customer support
This is a set of communication and collaboration apps developed by Google which allows your team to collaborate on Google apps like Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Slide and other Google apps. Everything you do in G Suite gets stored in the cloud including files in Google Drive, emails and drafts in Gmail, and conversations in Hangouts Chat and Google Groups. Furthermore, you can use Google calendar to schedule important meetings, note down important events, and more. Also, the Google cloud search features help you and every other user with a G Suite account to search across all your apps for the right information quickly.
- Domain-based G suite Business Email
- Increased storage space in Google Drive
- Multiple G suite Business email addresses
- Improved team collaboration
- Offline capabilities
- Professional email addresses for every user
- Enterprise-grade Google Apps that work in harmony
- Double the Cloud storage for every user
- Powerful Cloud search that works across apps
- A marketplace that helps you discover thousands of G Suite-compatible apps
- Access control
- Video conferencing
- Shared calendar.
- Business Starter $6 USD/user/month
- Business Standard $12 USD/user/month
- Business Plus $18 USD/user/month
- EnterpriseContact sales for pricing
Basecamp is very popular among freelancers, teams, remote workers and companies for its team management and its team collaboration features. It is a simple and easy-to-use project management software that helps you arrange your calendars, set meeting schedules, track assignments, and store documents. It comes with a lot of exciting features for sharing ideas, organizing conversations, and keeping everyone on the same page throughout the project.
- track project and task progress
- store and share relevant documents
- Set up a project in Basecamp
- Add people to the project for communication
- Manage the message board
- Provide file storage
- communicate with your project team
- facilitate project collaboration with them
- Free Plan: Unlimited tasks and unlimited users with 24/7 customer support
- Unlimited ($5 per user per month): offers “Free” features + unlimited storage space, views, dashboards and integrations
- Business ($9 per user per month): offers “ Unlimited” features + 2-factor-authentication + goal folders + extra guests + private views and more
12. One drive
Onedrive is another cloud storage and file sharing app designed by Microsoft to help employers, employees, freelancers, businesses and organizations to store and share files on the internet. With Microsoft OneDrive, you can easily and securely store and access your files from all your devices. You can work and collaborate with your team and others who are not part of your team.
One advantage of OneDrive is that it connects you to your personal and shared files in Microsoft 365, enhancing collaboration capabilities within Microsoft 365 apps. Furthermore, Onedrive is available on the web, desktop, and mobile devices. Microsoft Onedrive integrates well with other platforms like Microsoft team and share point allowing you to access all your personal files plus the files shared with you from other people or teams.
- Known Folder Move.
- Files On-Demand.
- Modern attachments.
- Real-time team collaboration: Coauthoring in full versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Seamlessly connecting files to conversations.
- Files Restore.
- Recycle bin.
- Data loss prevention (DLP)
- Hybrid integration with SharePoint Server
Loom is another remote work tool designed to help businesses facilitate workplace communication through video or screen recording capabilities. With Loom users can capture screens or record videos and share them via a link with clients, employers and teams. Furthermore, Loom integrates well with Gmail, Zendesk, Slack, Embedly and more.
Additionally, Loom helps users gather content in a library and share specific videos with their team or clients.
- video sharing,
- Screen recording
- team collaboration
- Integrates well with Gmail, Zendesk and Slack
- Basic: free
- Business: $8.00USD/Creator/mo (annually)
- Enterprise contact admin
CoSchedule is a marketing software used to schedule content and plan marketing campaigns. If you work in the marketing industry, then Coshedule will be a great tool for you. This tool allows marketers to organize and keep all their marketing-related work in one place. With CoSchedule, you can manage content, emails and events in one dashboard. It supports social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Pinterest, WordPress and Hubspot accounts.
- Drag-And-Drop Marketing Calendar
- Easy Social Media Scheduling
- Easy Workflow Management For Your Marketing Team
- Easily Re-Schedule Old Blog Content
- Works Great With WordPress
- Manage Google Docs Content
- Manage Evernote Content
- Convert Evernote & Google Docs Content To WordPress
- Lots Of Integrations That Will Simplify Your Life
- Team Collaboration
- generate reporting and statistics
- Social network marketing
- Third-party integration
- It comes with a Drag and Drop interface
- Engagement Analytics
- Advanced Project & Task Management
- Advanced Social Publishing
- It is an essential + Requeue plan for solopreneurs which goes for $40/month(annually)
- There is a growth plan for start-ups and agencies for $60/month billed annually
- A professional plan that goes for $300/month
- And an Enterprise plan starting at $1,200/month.
Now more than ever, employees rely on innovative remote work tools to help them stay connected. And thanks to the various tools mentioned above, employers and employees can stay connected wherever they are in the world. This way people are able to maintain business continuity and survive under immense pressure. While it is true that remote working tools can only complement, and not replace human elements of people management and problem-solving, It is essential for the productivity, quality and profitability of any business in today’s world.