Choosing the best online payment gateway solution for your e-commerce business makes it easy to take and process credit and debit card payments online. The process of setting up an online business is not an easy one. It involves a lot of thought, planning, and strategizing. Choosing the best online payment gateway solution for eCommerce is a sticky problem for many online businesses. There are many things involved, right from designing a website to web hosting to payment gateway and selecting the best shopping cart. To make your work easier we have compiled a list of the best online payment gateway solution in 2022.
What is an Online Payment Gateway Solution?
An online payment gateway solution is a technology that allows customers to make payments online by securely transferring customers’ financial data to the payment processor, and then sending back a response to tell if the transaction was approved or denied. It communicates transaction information between customers and business owners. The software allows businesses to accept debit/credit card payments from customers. At its core, a payment gateway plays a crucial role in the customer’s experience and anything contrary will set the customer off. Therefore, a good payment gateway should be smooth, fast, secure, and trustworthy.
The best online payment gateway solution should ensure that the customer’s information and transaction are secure and confidential and should accept multiple transaction options like debit cards, credit cards, and wallets on the website and app.
Note that integrating the best online payment gateway solution into your e-commerce business is very essential to the growth of your business. If your customers find anything suspicious in the payment process, they may abandon the cart which will lead to a loss of customers and sales. Ensuring a functional payment gateway set up with multiple forms of payment options (Bitcoin, debit, credit cards, wallets, etc.) with trusted security certificates and symbols is the key to the long-term success of your online e-commerce store.
How Do Online Payment Gateway Solutions Work
The payment gateway works in the following ways;
- The payment gateway solution begins when a customer enters their credit/debit card details and places the order and clicks on ‘Pay now’ or an equivalent button on the website to confirm permission for the transaction.
- After filling in the necessary details and placing the order, the payment gateway then redirects the customer to a secure page for authorizing the transaction.
- The payment gateway then encrypts the card details and goes through a security check before sending the card information to acquiring bank.
- The issuing bank checks the customer’s account to decide whether the transaction can be done or not.
- After going through the security and fraud check, the issuing bank authorizes the transaction by sending back an approval or decline message to the payment gateway
- The payment gateway then sends the message to notify the customer
- if the transaction is successful, and the bank settles the payment with the gateway, the merchant may either display the order or payment confirmation page or ask the customer to retry with other payment methods if it fails.
Therefore, a payment gateway encourages customer engagement and assures secure payments effectively on an eCommerce website.
What To Consider Before Selecting a Payment Gateway for an eCommerce Store
As an e-commerce business owner who is just starting and looking for the best payment gateway. Here are a few things you need to consider before getting started.
- What features does the gateway payment have?
- Do the features align with your e-commerce goal?
- How much does the payment gateway cost?
- Does the payment gateway operate in your country?
- Does it support mobile devices?
- What are the security measures like?
- Which types of payments are accepted?
- What are people saying about the payment gateway?
- What payment gateway are your customers using?
- Is it easy to set up? Or will you need professional help?
After you have answered the above question, then you need to make sure that the payment gateway you choose has the following;
- The payment gateway needs to be allowed in the country where you are targeting your products(research on the best in that country)
- Has minimum transaction fees.
- Supports multi-currency support. For example Euro, dollar, pounds, etc to help you market globally
- Make sure you understand the terms and conditions of the payment gateway so that you can get a complete understanding of the products that you can sell (digital or physical). There might be situations where some payment gateways may only permit the selling of physical goods.
- The payment gateway must accept multiple payments from credit or debit cards like Master cards, American Express, or from digital wallets like Paypal, Alipay or digital pay.
- Ensure that the payment gateway offers a good shopping experience to the customers.
Top 10 Payment Gateway in 2022
Paypal is one of the most popular online payment gateway solutions worldwide. According to Statista, Paypal is an online payment provider that performs online money transfers and payment processing for online vendors, auction sites, and other commercial users. Furthermore, the company possessed a total of more than 305 million active registered user accounts. PayPal is available in 202 countries and supports almost 100 currencies making it a good choice for e-commerce businesses that want to expand internationally.
Paypal is built into more than 1.6 million websites making it a good choice for your business. Among the companies that integrated PayPal into their platforms, we can find such huge marketplaces as Upwork, Wish, Bonanza, eBay, and Etsy and it supports widely used credit cards like Visa, Mastercard, and Citibank, American Express.
- PCI compliance
- Credit card reader
- Express checkout
- Barcode scanning
- Online invoicing
- Inventory tracking
- Tax calculator
- Instagram checkout
- Available in more than 200 countries
- Integrate secure shopping carts
- Customizable receipts
- It is supported by Magento, BigCommerce, Shopify and WooCommerce
Stripe is another popular online payment gateway solution that operates in 46 countries and is one of PayPal’s biggest competitors. It provides complete solutions to process online payments and also offers great features like a custom UI toolkit, embeddable checkout, consolidated reports and much more. It is trusted by high-level companies like Pinterest, Lyft, and Slack. Stripe’s solution is ideal for debit and credit card processing, particularly for physical transactions.
It is great for e-commerce shops, mobile e-commerce payment, subscription services, or on-demand marketplaces. It is easy to set up, integrate and maintain by web developers. Furthermore, the payment gateway solution allows the customers to stay onsite while making the payment, without being redirected to the payment website, which helps to boost a seamless customer experience.
- Mobile customer interface
- Multi-currency payouts
- Customer support: free 24/7 via email, chat, and phone call.
- Available in 42 countries and support more than 135 currencies internationally
- Custom UI toolkit
- Embeddable checkout
- Open source plugin
- Checkout with other payment gateways like Apple and Google pay
- Advanced security
- Clean canvas
- Collaboration notes
- Payment options
- Unified payout
- Integrates with Magento, Shopify, BigCommerce, and Spree Commerce.
3. Amazon pay
Amazon Pay is a payment gateway solution offered by Amazon. The payment gateway is available to both sellers and buyers on amazon to help their online transaction process. One good thing about Amazon pay is that it allows users to access their information from the merchant’s site so you don’t need to add any details like name, shipping address, credit card details, etc. without compromising the security. This smoothens and fastens the payment process.
- Automatic payments
- Merchant website integration
- Inline checkout
- Customer identity
- Fraud protection
Braintree is a payment gateway solution acquired by Paypal that ensures flexible and secure transactions. The payment platform allows easy integration and operates in 40 countries worldwide while supporting over 130 currencies.
It comes with various e-commerce tools, accepts payments, and ready-made sleek UI that supports multiple cards or even PayPal transactions.
- Drop-in UI
- Advanced fraud protection
- Supports over 130 currencies worldwide
- offers 24/7 customer support via phone call, and email directly to the sales team.
- Customized checkout workflow
- Integrated with Apple and Google Pay
- Allow Paypal button customization within the transaction.
- It supports Magento, BigCommerce, WooCommerce, Shopify, and Spree Commerce.
- Dynamic control panel
- Easy data migration
- Easy repeat billing
Authorize.Net is a payment gateway solution provider belonging to Visa and is used by over 43,000 businesses in the United States alone. It is a global payment gateway solution that offers strong infrastructure and security to ensure smooth, fast, and secure transfer of transactional data.
It has a base of over 370,000 around the world. With authorize.Net, you can accept payments securely, and have a more streamlined experience, with scaling and other value-adding features. It is fully integrated to accept and process payments from other bank accounts through the user’s website or the Authorize.Net’s virtual terminal.
- Accepts multiple payment options
- Advanced fraud detection suite
- E-check processing
- Retail payment
- Sync for Quickbooks
- Recurring billing
- Virtual terminal and batch upload
- Mail/phone payment
- It does not have a fixed enterprise pricing scheme
- It supports sync for Quickbooks
- Customer information manager
Skrill is a UK-based eCommerce payment gateway solution used by both businesses and consumers. With Skrill, users can make international transactions, and pay for products and services wherever they are with the help of a dedicated mobile app. It is supported by 30 countries and supports multi-currency payment processes. The platform also integrates well with third-party shopping carts. Skrill is simple to connect to any bank account globally and takes good care of the security of the payment data.
- Email transactions
- Quick access
- One place data
- Supports in-app payments
- Integrates with third-party shopping carts
- Hosted payment page
- Free account
- Supports 30 currencies
- Credit card transactions
PayU is a prominent online payment gateway solution service provider that processes payments faster for both merchants and buyers. It is an Indian online payment extension used to create, collect, and manage automatic payments from your customers. It has integrated more than 45 payment methods to optimize conversion rates. Furthermore, PayU covers over 18 markets across Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, and more catering to over 2.3 billion consumers. They have over 300 payment methods for fast, simple, and secure electronic payments across platforms. It supports one-click buy that allows users to purchase with a single click, thus improving customer conversion rates on your e-commerce website.
- Integrates with mobile devices
- Web checkout
- Supports Multi-currency
- It has a responsive design that is compatible with both mobile and web-based businesses.
- Over 13 currencies are available.
- It is supported by Shopify, Magento, and WordPress.
- Supports multiple payment options like credit cards, net banking, and wallets
- Accept international transactions with a minimum fee.
- Integrate a time-tested security engine to ensure safe payment processing for e-commerce transactions.
- Easily integrate and receive all local payment methods instantly
- Supports one-click buy allowing users to purchase with a single click
2Checkout is a popular global payment gateway that allows businesses to accept online payments from buyers around the globe. It is a US-based payment gateway solution that supports multiple payment methods and transactions worldwide. It comes with many features and localized payment options that help both buyers and sellers streamline the payment process.
It is secure and reliable, with more Than 50,000 merchants supported by 8 different payment methods, 15 languages, and 87 different currencies in global markets.
- It supports multiple languages and currencies
- Multiple payment options
- Recurring billing
- Customized checkout options
- Integration with 100+ online carts and systems
- Create customized subscription plans
- Account updater
AliPay was founded by the Alibaba group, AliPay is among the most popular payment gateways for eCommerce in China. The app offers a real-time payment solution for domestic customers who make purchases on eCommerce platforms.
However, there is a certain limitation for businesses when opting for Alipay. This is because the online gateway only allows for payments in Chinese currency. That’s not to say users are not willing to go the extra mile because of the booming economic growth of China.
- Stable mobile terminal service to handle a huge amount of monetary transactions.
- Integrate high-quality encrypted access for network transmission, thus ensuring absolute security for each payment processing.
- No need to set up a company or bank account in China.
- Support 12 currencies worldwide for the currency exchange process.
- Best suit for mobile-based eCommerce websites.
- The internal transaction is free.
- 0.55% fee on every international transaction.
Square is another good e-commerce payment gateway solution for your e-commerce business that provides flexible payment customization. It comes with features like deposits on demand, fraud protection, a customized register, inventory, and sales report. In addition, Square can be used to issue invoices and receipts and manage timesheets
Furthermore, the square also comes at a reasonable and affordable price. It charges you 2.9 % +$0.30 per transaction, just like PayPal or Stripe.
Square is easy to integrate with various e-commerce platforms and partners with major software like Wix, WooCommerece, Magneto, Miva, X-cart, Drupal, and Zen Cart.
- It is supported by 5 major currencies like Yen, the dollar(Canada, US, and Australia), and Euro
- Ensure security with PCI Security standards.
- It is supported by e-commerce platforms like WooCommerce, BigCommerce, OpenCart, and Magento
- Allow users to utilize Square’s Transactions API.
- Integrate a shopping cart.
- Support businesses in setting up an online store.
- It offers customer support via email, phone, social media (tweet), and seller community.
A payment gateway is very important when it comes to e-commerce customer experience. The best payment gateway platform will ensure that the customer’s information and transaction are secure and confidential thereby protecting customers from online fraud. Integrating the best online payment gateway solution will ensure that your online customer experience is smooth, fast, and secure. Customers might abandon their cart if they suspect any foul play on your e-commerce website, therefore ensuring a fully functional payment gateway solution with trusted security certificates and symbols is the key to the long-term success of your online e-commerce store.
We hope this article will help you in making the best decision when it comes to an e-commerce payment gateway.